HUDSON – An old holiday tradition was renewed on Nov. 26 when members of Manning Post VFW, and other volunteers, renewed, re-lighted and re-hung the American Flag at Cox Square, Central and Lincoln street.
Created in 1953 by the late Harry Schneider, the Flag was once part of the elaborate decorations which hung in the Hudson Rotary Circle until 1967, and has been hung annually.
According to David Bonazzoli, historian of the Hudson Historical Society, Schneider’s woodworking shop was located at the rear of J & K Tire Co. on Bruce’s Pond. Schneider made many of the Christmas decorations used in the downtown display, and his bell, wreath, diamond and a red bell are on the display at the Museum, Broad Street Mill building, Room B406.
With the assistance and storage of G. Bonazzoli & Sons in the past, and more recently Manning Post VFW, the tradition continues.
On Nov. 26, the bulbs were carefully replaced and the flag was raised to its supports by Ken Blood in the Hudson DPW bucket-truck, assisted by rope-holding ground crew. According to Jim Cabral, VFW adjutant, the flag holds 548 bulbs and measures 8 by 10 feet.
Breakfast was served to the volunteers at Manning Post headquarters, Palmieri Drive, by Donny Norton and Debbie Healy. Flag-raising volunteers included: Keagan O’Leary, Jeff Morse, Brady Blood (fourth generation to raise the flag), Joe Chaves, Dave O’Connor, Kenny Blood, Kenny Durkin, Tim Durkin, Todd Rooney, Tom Rooney, Harry Blais, Cory Commeau, Bernie Lazaro, Brian Laflamme and Joseph Blais.